Nosferatu at the cemetery, Asian food and wedding

8/22/2016


Here are some pictures I took from this weekend in São Paulo. My boyfriend and I went to see a theatrical interpretation of the 1922 Nosferatu movie with a very German expressionist touch. The theater company, Subsolo, has presented a very minimalist version of the classic based on Bram Stoker's Dracula novel inside a chapel at the Araçá Cemetery. It was raining, so most people were afraid it wouldn't be possible to watch them, but as it was inside the chapel, it went fine. My boyfriend and I arrived a bit late to get the tickets (they recommend to be there one hour earlier), but we managed to join the audience, which is limited as the presentation is free and the chapel is small.


We're not allowed to take pictures of the presentation, but here is one published by the company as they had a photographer there. The last presentation is on the next Saturday.

 After that we went for a dinner at the Bueno Restaurant. I think they're the only restaurant that serves buta no kakuni here in São Paulo. Back in England, my Taiwanese friends cooked this pork belly recipe for me and more friends, but they made it with a bittersweet sauce. This one was different, but still super tasty. The restaurant is very traditional and it focuses mostly on Japanese cuisine, but they have many different options. In the picture above, you can see a bowl with Ochazuke, a Japanese dish that is basically rice and salmon dipped in green tea. I also had green tea as beverage, while my boyfriend had ice black tea (picture below). We also ordered this hot pot with pork, chicken, tofu, shitake and shimeji with udon and ramen. Super tasty! I really want to go there more times. The price and the servings are great and I like the international feeling we had there. There were people talking in Japanese, so it really felt like we were in a multicultural place which São Paulo indeed is. :)

We also went to the movies to watch Suicide Squad, but I don't even want to mention that. It sucked as it felt like it would, but my boyfriend wanted to check it after we watched the extended version of Batman vs Superman on Friday. I liked it... maybe this other version made the film better than what was in the movies. But I guess people who really followed the comics might not be very happy about it anyway. As I was never a comic reader, I just see it as an isolated picture and it was ok. 



On the other hand, Suicide Squad felt stupid for their attempt to make it close to Marvel movies like Guardians of the Galaxy, in which they used lots of top songs to make the movie look cool and hype it. The problem is that Suicide Squad has an awful edition with too many songs for too few scenes and some of them are too meaningless for adding strong tracks like Queen's. I obviously hated Jared Leto's version of Joker and I also hated the hypersexualized version of Harley Quinn overshadowing other characters that felt much more interesting to me - like Katana and Diablo. Both were portrayed as nutcases and some of Katana's lines weren't even translated, while you have Harley's ass fulfilling the screen each 5 minutes. 

It's very tempting the way they portray Harley and Joker's relationship... I actually liked a lot that scene where they dance, resembling the Killing Joke's comic cover, but... I see it's indeed a strong point for those who keep shipping them and I've seen dozens of girls dressing like this new Harley Quinn... I honestly wouldn't do that myself, though I like the character herself. This hypersexualization comes from other times, especially in Batman Arkham game series where Harley was re-designed and got this sex appeal. It's just not my cup of tea.


Then on Sunday we went to a friend's wedding! It was the first wedding I went that wasn't a relative's or a friend of my mother. I was very happy for them. César and Suzana are such an amazing and beautiful couple and though I haven't seen them in the last couple of years, it was a great surprise to be greeted by both at the church and at their party. It was all beautiful - what would you expect from a designer anyway?! And I felt very thankful to be there and share these moments of happiness... and well, eat tons of sweets too HAHAH :P 

You Might Also Like

0 comments